4.15.2013

Grandma Joanne Watson Pelton

My paternal Grandma Joanne passed away on Tuesday, April 9th. She had severe Alzheimer's and had been declining for about 6 years. My parents let me know the night before that she had been put on a morphine drip and most likely would pass away within the next 12 hours. The next morning she slowly took her last breaths in peace with family around her.

It is always hard to say goodbye, even if it is not sudden but my Grandpa Pelton died in 1997 and I'm glad that they are finally reunited. I learned a lot about my Grandma at her funeral and I am proud to be her granddaughter.

Joanne Watson Pelton was always a wonderful mix of determination, diligence and tender caring and love. Some of my favorite things about her:
-She worked as a nurse and when she was 22 she cared for a woman dieing of cancer. This woman was leaving behind her husband, and three children. Grandma cared for her through this whole trial and got to know her family until her death.... when that family that later became hers when at the encouragement of both the patient and her mother she married my Grandpa (who was about 20 years older than her!!) and she became an instant mother to a 15 year old, a 12 year old and an 18 month old.  I really admire her for being willing and able to step into that and be an instant mom. It was because she truly loved her children (including those 3 that she didn't technically birth herself) and her own later two children (my dad being her youngest).  She truly loved all of her grandchildren too. She was always very happy and sweet and her and my Grandpa always had a big smile and were excited to see us.
-She was very determined in everything she did, whether it was growing up working on her family's ranch or the fact that she would sent my parents the house for sale clippings for years after they were married to get them to move back to Utah! She always worked hard to get what she wanted (although in that case we never did moved to Utah, sorry Grandma).
-She is the reason why my name is spelled differently. When I was born, "Courtney" was still a popular name for boys so she was there and convinced my my dad to spell it "without the U so it looks a little more feminine" so off they went to sign the birth certificate and that's why my name is spelled the way it is.
-My Grandpa didn't join the church until much later in his life, but my grandma was always strong in the church and encouraged her children to be also. She wasn't judgmental and was supportive of whatever choices they made but kept her testimony throughout her whole life.
-She lived a good life. One of my cousins spoke and said that her funeral was a time to congratulate her on a life well spent. And it truly was. The flowers were beautiful and people were generally happy because she was now back with my Grandpa and could be back doing things she loves and being able to talk to people and remember things.
Her funeral was April 13 at Larkin Sunset Lawn Cemetery and then she was buried at Mount Olivet Cemetery. My Dad dedicated her grave, each pallbearer put his boutonniere on her casket and then they invited each daughter/granddaughter to place a rose on the casket as well. I was glad for the opportunity to pay my respect in that way.

No comments:

Post a Comment