6.01.2012

joys of motherhood: May

-This was my last full month to have complete one-on-one time with Caitlin before a sibling comes into play. She has been my whole world for the last 21 months and it's crazy to think that now we both have to share it. I tried to enjoy every little moment and I know that i will love our new baby just as much, but i also know that it will be different. It makes me sad but also happy to be moving forward with our family. I wonder if i will feel like this with every new baby as they come? It's kind of like when Paul and I got married i felt like i couldn't love him any more than I did but now I love him WAY more. So awesome how love can grow and expand. So necessary too.

-I was giving Caitlin breakfast the other morning (oatmeal of course) and she was sitting on the counter while i was standing. I had a bad tummy ache so i rubbed my tummy and then she leaned over and rubbed my tummy too. I said "that's baby Nolan huh?!" and she said "baby!" and then she started making kissing noises and she leaned over and gave my belly a big kiss. It made my day.

-Caitlin is starting to put together more 2 words phrases (other than "thank you" or "bless you".. I'm not counting those) so we are moving in the direction of sentences.

-She doesn't really count or get the whole concept of numbers yet. I blame myself because i hate math and so i kind of forgot that i should be teaching her numbers things. But i've tried to start and so far 2 is her favorite number. She uses that number and only that number. Whenever she pretends to count something she will point to all the things and say "two... two... two..." and whenever i try to count with her she waits for me to say one.. and then chimes in at two.

-You know you're a mom when you start using baby wipes to clean anything and everything.. they are just so useful and abundant! Then you know you're a mom when you realize after going through your 4th one: "These little babies are probably costing me like 15c a wipe just to clean this _____ (fill-in-the-blank)" then you know you're a pregnant mom when you just keep wiping away because heaven forbid you have to get up and waddle across the kitchen to dampen a paper towel to do the same job.

-One of the sweetest things in the world is listening from the next room over to your hubby sing songs to his little girl when she's having a rough night and a hard time going back to sleep. He was in there for a good 30 minutes snuggling her and singing to her.

-These were real thoughts that went through my head today: "It's 5:00 PM and I need to walk down and get the mail. Do you think that the neighbors will see Caitlin and think that A: I never got her dressed for the day, or B: will they think that she is just in her PJs early for the night." Then I thought about myself wearing my sweats and one of Paul's old baggy t-shirts and no hair or makeup done and realized obviously they would know it was A. Wish my mailbox was a little closer! But don't worry I'm not that superficial.. i still went.

-Caitlin loves other kids and lately she loves holding hands with them. The other day at story time this little girl came over and held her hand out and Caitlin happily took it and sat there holding hands with her and following her around. It was really sweet then at church there was a 4 year old boy in front of us and Caitlin REALLY wanted to hold his hand. She kept reaching for it and he was embarrassed at first but her sweet face and charm quickly won him over and he held her hand and stated playing games with her. Caitlin was just giggling like crazy and beside herself to get to play with this cute little boy haha.

-I still refer to Caitlin as "my baby" a lot and I've tried to start catching myself but it seems so weird to call her "my daughter" or "my little girl" because she will just always be my baby. I guess until this next baby actually comes out then i think i will see the huge difference and legitimately feel like he is my baby. However with that being said, there is a mom and Caitlin's gymnastics class that has a daughter like a year older than her and she tells her daughter to "watch out for baby" whenever she gets close to Caitlin and it totally bugs me! I'm thinking: look they are in the same age group class so obviously they are old enough to be little friends and she is not a baby she is doing the same stuff as your daughter so don't call her that.... only I can call her that.

-The other night i walked in Caitlin's room to check on her before i want to sleep and she was totally talking in her sleep! I thought she was awake because she was so loud. She was either talking about her ball or her baba.. not sure but it was hilarious.

-Caitlin has finally developed a taste in other movies besides Lion King. Hallelujah! So the other day we were watching Beauty and the Beast and at the end when the beats is like almost dead and Belle is with him she leans over and whispers "I love you" and then he come back to life and changes back into the prince. So we were watching that part and after Belle whispered that Caitlin starts whispering "love you! love you!" super softly. I was laughing so hard and she's done it every time we've watched since.

-Whenever one of us is using the bathroom and leaves the door open Caitlin loves to come in and close the door and be in there with you. No privacy at all in this house. So anyways Paul was in using the bathroom and Caitlin was pushing around her little lawnmower and holding a balloon and decided to go visit daddy so she went and found him and insisted on bringing in the lawnmower, the balloon and herself and closing the door all inside the little toilet closet. I found them and tried to open the door to make her come out and she slammed it in my face. Quite the pee party!

1 comment:

  1. Cortney I read this post and can totally empathize with you! I remember feeling the while excited/sad feelings at the same time right before I had Olivia. I had serious concerns that I wouldn't love her as much as I did payten, and that in a way I was betraying payten a little bit. It sounds crazy, but those were my real concerns.
    Honestly though the second I had her my heart grew three sizes and filled a whole I didn't know existed.
    It is defInitelt a challenge the first couple of months learning how to deal with 2 kids, and definitely a lot less sleep because chances are both your kids won't be napping at the same time, but honestly everything will just become second nature, just like it has since you had Caitlyn.
    Ok I am like writing a novel, but I just wanted to reassure you that it will only get better. Good luck this last week! Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete