9.12.2014

Maverick's birth: in words

Introducing:
Maverick Liam Dickson
Born September 5th at 12:10 PM
8.0 lbs 19.5 inches

We are so delighted to have another little boy join our family! Maverick's birthday was definitely exciting in a number of ways! Here's the full birth story:
-Of course I couldn't sleep the night before... Woke up multiple times and was counting down the hours until my alarm would go off at 6 AM. Until I woke up to Paul's alarm... At 6:30! I had accidentally set my alarm for PM! So we started rushing to get ready and get the last of our things packed up. Amidst the rush we heard a loud wheezing at our bedroom door and found Nolan standing there. A few minutes later Caitlin came down crying and coughing. Both kids were sick with fevers, sore throats and not happy. I was so glad my mom was here to take the reigns and start loading them up with Tylenol but definitely wasn't the morning I had anticipated!
We joked on the way to the hospital that hopefully we had already gotten out the wiggles and the rest of the day would go more smoothly. It definitely went well although it maintained the unexpected pace!
-Around 7:15 We got to the hospital and got settled into our room. Paul made fun of me for touch-up curling my hair, but hey! My alarm didn't go off and if I'm going to be induced and know when I'm having my baby I might as well be picture-ready. Our delivery room also had a perfect view of the Mt. Timpanogos temple which I loved! 
-By 8:30 I had my antibiotic (I tested strep B positive) and my pitocin going. Also the doctor had come in and broke my water... Things were rollin'! When I started I was dilated to between 3.5-4 cm
-At 10:15 I ordered my epidural. I had wanted to feel some good contractions and they came on with a bang. I started having them every 1-2 minutes and they were hard and also there was a lot of back labor. My back was killing and they were coming at such a clipping pace I was glad to get the epidural. After I got it they checked me again (around 10:45) and I was only at a 4! I was shocked after all those contractions! We thought based on that we still had a few hours to work through the rest.
-Between getting the epidural and about 11:15 I was still feeling contractions and also started feeling a lot of pressure. The contractions had let up but I could still feel when they were coming and started feeling a lot of pressure and discomfort. I was afraid maybe the epidural hadn't taken properly because I was feeling more discomfort than I had anticipated or remembered from my past ones. I wasn't in a ton of pain but definitely wasn't the chill epidural feeling I had experienced before. I pushed the button to up the dose at 11 but contractions were still coming fast and strong-- and the pressure!
-At 11:15 I told the nurse I was still feeling discomfort and pressure so she checked me and I was at a 7.5 cm, completely effaced! Wow! Basically I had gone from a 4-7.5 in about 30 minutes. When she checked me at 7.5 she said "There's not much hair there." Paul said "If that's the case I hope it's a boy!" and Christine and I both thought "Maybe it's my little blond boy" (I'd been admiring all these cute little toe-head boys during the summer wondering if I could ever get a blond baby with our genes) The nurse said "K here's your buffer, get whatever family you need to here and then we will check you for a last time" Lorraine and Christine were already there and we called my Mom and Cassie to hurry over. Rebekah went to our house to switch watching our kids and my mom got there soon and Cassie came from Provo. Everything was in place by 11:45 and I was fully dilated as well... Baby time!
-Our doctor came in and other nurses and my legs were up in stirrups before I even knew it. A contraction came and I pushed twice. We waited and another came and I pushed about 2 and a half more times. The head came out and we were all dieing to see the rest of the body!! I felt like it was slow motion but then the doctor held up his bum for Paul to make the gender announcement.
-Paul and I both searched for a few moments to be sure and then both realized "It's a boy!" I started laughing and crying as Paul cut the umbilical chord and they placed our baby boy on my stomach. I was completely shocked!! And so excited. We were elated. Everyone was asking his name. Paul announced "Maverick Liam" and he was loud too! He was yelling, really LOUDLY as they wiped him off then took him to be measured and tested: Apgar 8 and 9, weighed 8.0 pounds even (the night before I had told Paul "I think our baby will be right around 8 pounds") and 19.5 inches long. He yelled the entire time and all the nurses were saying "He's a feisty one!" They brought him back to me and as soon as I started snuggling him he called down and stopped crying... I was in mommy heaven. We spent the next hour plus admiring our new little human. My head was spinning with all these thoughts and plans now that I knew it was a boy it opened the floodgates of what life with another boy would be like and what lies ahead! He definitely has a look all his own.. And he is a blondie! Such a surprising little package! He was very alert and calm for a long time and he has long hands and feet and he kept moving his little hands all over and exploring. I loved just looking at him and starting to get to know him for so long.
-Eventually they moved me down to our recovery mother/baby room and that was that, my quickest delivery yet and definitely most surprising! The 15 seconds of finding out the gender and emotions involved were totally worth the wait (still don't know if I would do it again though!) but there was so much adrenaline. Without a doubt the best part though was meeting this little guy and having him snuggle into me and know that he was safe and loved. Can't wait to start our life together!!

No comments:

Post a Comment