9.14.2014

hospital stay

Our stay at the hospital was fine. Longer than we wanted after having most the day on Friday and all day Saturday there we were ready to leave but because I had tested strep B positive they had to keep the baby there for 48 hours after he was born. We were able to have lots of visitors to keep us company. Paul's parents flew up for the weekend so we were able to see them a lot as well as Meads and McCulloughs. Hansens, Stuarts, Clay Barnes and my Grandparents also visited us. My recovery went really well and I felt good. Maverick did great too. 

 We were able to have the kids come over a few times. Even though they were sick we just couldn't bear to keep them away from meeting their brother. They were SO excited. They walked in and I was holding Maverick and we said "It's a boy! We got you a brother!" They both squealed with joy and ran over and immediately jumped on the bed and held out their hands and asked to hold him. They were absolutely obsessed from the first moment. Caitlin did say one time "but I thought I was going to have a sister" we told her she was such a good big sister to brothers so we had to get her another one. She seemed pleased and she has definitely embraced her role as the best big sister ever in every way! They are both equally as interested in the baby but Caitlin for longer amounts of time, Nolan is very aware and interested but loses interest more quickly, then comes back. They are already just the sweetest big brother and sister. In full disclosure: I really wanted a boy the whole time. I wanted for Nolan to have a little boy buddy and felt that Caitlin could hold on to her princess and second mother title and be just fine. I think because I wanted a boy I had prepared myself so much for a girl so that I would be ok with it. When I saw that he was a boy I was completely shocked and so happy. It's perfect.

We were so ready to come home on Sunday. My mom had spent the night with me Saturday night because the kids needed daddy at home. The mixture of being sick and having their parents away was a lot for them (and us) to handle. We were excited to get home and get things back to normal... Or establish our "new normal" as a family of five!

No comments:

Post a Comment