6.27.2013

Nolan: one whole year

Let me tell this story about Nolan. This just happened a couple weeks ago. I took the kids to the Thanksgiving Point farm. They have farm animals, exhibits and pony rides there. The kids loved looking at the animals and Nolan especially LOVES the horses. On this day it was pretty empty so when we went to go have our pony ride there was no one around (just the worker) and no one waiting to go. Caitlin quickly went to choose her pony and I asked the worker if I held onto Nolan could he ride? She said yes. Nolan's first pony ride!! I put him on one and stood beside him and he was a little squirmy at first but I showed him how to hold onto the saddle horn. He held on with one hand and wanted to hold onto me with the other. I held onto his waist and his hand. The ponies started walking around and I walked beside him. Nolan started looking at his pony and noticing the saddle and his mane. He didn't show any big reaction, but slowly he let go of me with his hand and put it on the saddle horn with is other. He was calm and content the whole time and held onto the saddle with both hands and just enjoyed his ride.

This captures Nolan perfectly. Easy-going, independent and content. He has always had this mixed personality of easy-going independence. Which are two qualities I would say are not my strongest, so it has been interesting to observe him and how he handles the world. He rolls with the punches and goes along with whatever activity we bring him into whether it's traveling to another country or daily wrestles with Caitlin. He plays with toys and explores by himself and likes to have his own space and do his own thing. He is not much of a snuggler, but he is full of love. He is gentle and notices people and things around him. I always tell people that chubby babies are the happiest babies and he proves it. He is full of smiles and laughing and squeals.

I feel that we have only scratched the surface with Nolan. His first year has gone by in the blink of an eye. He is a pretty simple guy, and also very consistent but as he gets older his personality continues to develop and unfold and he definitely has his very own likes and dislikes and opinions. He knows what he wants in life and while it might not be much he is determined to get those things.

I have been in love with my little big boy from day one and his gentle demeanor and sweet and kind spirit. He is always quick to smile and so calm and I love him for that. Those cheeks and clear blue eyes... you really can't help but have a little crush on him. I cannot wait to see what the future holds for him and how he continues to face life with a big grin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment