6.09.2014

joys of motherhood: May

Oh these kiddos.

-A lot of times after Nolan wakes up from his nap he wants to just snuggle on the couch while he finishes waking up. One of my favorite things. So the other day i was holding him and Caitlin REALLY wanted to hold Nolan and snuggle him. She sat on the couch and put her arms out and i tried to put him in her lap. It lasted for about 2 seconds. Caitlin was so sad because she "just really wanted a baby to snuggle" So i told her when we have our new baby she can snuggle it whenever she wants.
-Nolan has started saying "oh man!" whenever he drops something or anything like that. "oh maaaan!" in this kind of grumbly voice and it makes me laugh SO hard.
-Caitlin was outside playing with the chicks with Paul and said:
C: "Dad, are you thinking what I'm thinking?"
Paul: Maybe...
C: "Are we thinking what the chicks are thinking?!"
Paul" Probably not.
Speaking of, the chicks are still alive! Possibly our longest run yet with pets and feeling pretty proud. However in the last month they have turned into big ugly chickens and they are stinky and growing out of their cage. They are also getting a little more fiesty and they are bigger and faster so they are harder for the kids to catch and play with. So whether they die on their own or not I'm pretty much ready to let them move on.
-Nolan likes to do everything himself. "self! self" he is very independent. One thing he has denied help with for awhile is hopping in his bed. We will say "ok bed time go hop in" and he chants "hop in! hop in!" and runs to his room, holds onto the side rail of his crib, pulls himself up and hurls himself over the side onto the mattress. Then giggles. Sometimes it takes a few tries and sometimes he stops midway to put away toys or say goodnight to things in his room, but heaven forbid you try to help him in any way!
-Nolan's main discipline problem right now is running away from me. If he sees a window of freedom he takes off running and he is fast! If you run after him he likes the chase and keeps going. It's a very delicate situation, one that I have in no way mastered. How do you not let him get too far but also not run after him everywhere? And most importantly how do you get him to come back to you!? For awhile the takeaway was working, ex: "ok by nolan, see you later!" and pretend to turn around to leave. He would said "wait!" and come back. That lasted a few times then instead of wait he began saying "ok bye mom! see you!".... fail. The other day as I chased him down the target aisle I had about 4 older moms just laughing and watching the whole scene play out. One said "We're not laughing AT you..." Guess who wasn't laughing?
-We were driving on the freeway and went around a sharp turn and Caitlin started saying "mom I'm tipping over! I'm tipping over in my seat!" I thought she was referring to the turn so i joked back "yah! It's like  roller coaster! It's so fun! woo!" and she said "But mom I'm really tipping over!" So I looked back and sure enough.... her car seat was slanted tipping over! Oops! Strap that baby in tighter!
-Whenever I say, "Nolan you are so handsome!" he responds with a little sheepish grin "thank you"
-Nolan will point out that i have a baby in my tummy. He comes up and points to my tummy and says "baby?" then he will give it a hug and a kiss. He is going to be such a sweet big brother. 
-Nolan is obsessed with apple juice, we seriously go through one a week. 
-The other day we were shopping looking at a rack right next to a lady with bleached blonde short spiky hair. Caitlin goes, "Mom, that lady's hair is crazy!" I had to quickly say, "oh yes it's so cute! It's kinda short and spiky!" so awkward.
-We've had so many workers through the hows and many of them are hispanic. The other day one came to the door and was talking to me and (luckily after i closed the doors) Caitlin said, "Mom, he talks kinda silly!"
me: "sometimes when people are from another country they have an accent and that's just how they sound."
C: "well they just sound really funny"
me: "well maybe they think that YOU talk funny!"
C: (super serious) "oh no. No, I don't talk funny."

Family prayer at our house, serious one this night:

No comments:

Post a Comment