4.02.2014

joys of motherhood: march

-The other day on our way to dance class I realized I had forgotten Caitin's dance shoes and there wasn't enough time to go back and get them. I was so mad that i had forgotten them because there was no excuse. Caitlin had even reminded me and asked about them. I have forgotten them a few times in the past and it has be traumatic. Caitlin yells and cries and is so crushed the whole time. Once I realized i was gearing up for the fall out and i said:
me: "Oh no!"
C: "what mom?"
me: "Caitlin I forgot your dance shoes."
C: "Oh. That's ok mom."
me: (thinking she didn't understand) "I don't have them, they are at home I didn't bring them"
C: "It's ok mom i can just dance in my tights today"
me: "wow thank you for being so sweet!"
C: "Yah it's ok mom, sometimes we forget them and we don't need to be mad. I'll just tell Miss Kim that we forgot them today."
I was SHOCKED to say the least. And so impressed. I have no idea where this moment of maturity and complete compassion came from but I was so grateful.
-Nolan is talking a lot more and starting to put things together. He is catching onto things and is good at repeating. sometimes he notices things or answers questions and he surprises me and makes me wonder if he just threw out a new word he's been hearing or if he really knew the answer. He completely understands everything I say, even though sometimes he still acts like he doesn't. Despite all this, sometimes when he gets mad he just scrunches his nose and grunts. Especially to other kids on the playground (kinda awkward).
-Typical Caitlinism:
(while driving in the car)
C: "Mom, i just love you."
Me: "I love you to sweetie"
C: "I think that  will love you forever."
She may get a little stubborn sometimes but when it comes down to it she is one of the sweetest little girls I know. She tells me things like this all the time.
-Caitlin was really on a roll one day. We saw a girl at the store wearing a (skimpy) tank top and in the middle of the aisle Caitlin stops and points at her and says "Mom, why doesn't she have sleeves on her shirt?!" I said "Well it's getting warmer now so we don't have to always war long sleeves anymore! he's probably been out enjoying the sun" As i smile as her and we quickly passed by. Right after that we stopped at Sonic and the guy that brought us our food had long hair in a pony tail so Caitlin said "Why does that guy have a pony tail? Only girls have pony tails!" Luckily he didn't hear her.
-Nolan loves shoes. He will try on any pair: girl or boy, big or small, invited or not. The other day I had my slippers on and he kept pointing and saying "shoes! Shoes!" So I took them off and he put them on. Then he started putting them on me and we took turns with them for awhile- him putting them on for me then taking them off to put them on himself then back on me.
-Caitlin woke up in the middle of the night having a complete meltdown. She let herself into the bathroom and I found her sitting naked on the toilet sobbing. I said "What's wrong sweetie?!" 
C: "I just can't do big things" 
me: "like what big things?" 
C: "like puzzles" 
ramblings of a half asleep delusional tired 3 year old.
-Nolan can literally spot a horse from miles away. He also has yet to miss any sort of Mickey or dog or cat around. And recently has added trains too. How do kids hone in on these things? My kids will NEVER miss pointing out things they see. 
-Caitlin is a chatterbox. She hardly ever quits talking. She and I have one on one time usually after her quiet time while we wait for Nolan to wake up from his nap. Usually we color or paint or play games. In these spans on 30-40 minutes we have conversations and literally there is never more than 1 second of silence between her questions or comments. No exaggeration.
-I still get asked, at least once a month if these two are twins.

No comments:

Post a Comment