7.21.2013

joys of motherhood: june

-We were at Costco, stocking up on our essential non-essentials in bulk, and the kids were in the front of the cart. Those double carts are so wonderful, I love having them both sitting there in front of me. Yes, sometimes they get sick of being in such close quarters but they just look so cute all contained and staring up at me. An older woman passed us in the aisle and stopped to smile at the kids. She said hi and Nolan smiled back and Caitlin said hi. She was really sweet and told me I have beautiful children and then walked away. As soon as we were walking away and (I HOPE) out of earshot Caitlin giggled and said "oh she was saying hi!" and I said "yah she was so nice" and Caitlin still giggling and said "She's so crazy!" with a little flip of her wrist.
-On a similar errand day, we were at Walmart and had to change both kids diapers. So in we go to the bathroom with the cart and groceries and grumpy kids. And out we came with much the same situation. Caitlin was probably yelling something from the cart or bouncing around. As I pushed my cart out through the little bathroom door we passed an older man who looked at us and somewhat under his breath (although audible) he said "Are we having fun yet?!" I didn't respond to him because I knew he wasn't really saying it for me to hear but I laughed. It made me laugh because the way he said it reminded me of something my own grandpa would say and made me think that maybe he had been part of a similar situation before. And sometimes it takes that perspective at the end of a long day of errands to know that everyone's been through it and it goes by fast.
-This happened a little while ago but don't think I ever mentioned it:
We were eating lunch at Paul's work as a family and had Nolan sitting in a high chair at the end of our table. He was really interested in what was going on at the next table. He kept looking over and smiling. I finally turned around to see what was going on and saw a table full of very big Polynesian guys. They were smiling and waving and laughing at Nolan and he was eating it up! One of them commented to me "He belongs at our table!"
Just this month at the airport in California there was a Polynesian woman holding a big baby next to me waiting for luggage. She asked how old Nolan was and commented that he's a big boy. Somehow it makes me a little proud when I get comment like these because in both of these cases... these people know big boys and know what they are talking about!
Also like when all the Disneyland workers were saying how cute he was or that his were the best cheeks they'd ever seen. (I'd like to think that they don't just say that to everyone) and it means more coming from them because I know that they see kids all day everyday.     
 -The other day Caitlin's conversation with me in the car consisted of her telling me that she needs to get her dolphin tail so that she could go with Ariel. Think she got dolphins and mermaids mixed up. "I will get my dolphin tail and I will go swim with Ariel and she will have her dolphin..." 
-The other day at the playground Caitlin climbed up to this little mega phone thing and said "Mom I just want you know I'm your biggest fan" HAHA I think she heard that on a show or something because I don't know where she would have gotten that but it was really cute. I hope she always feels this way about me.
-Also at the park one night we were sitting at a bench while the kids played and Nolan was happily eating playing with the wood chips at the bottom of the play scape. A few minutes later we heard another kid ay "Nolan's at the very top" and looked over to see him -sure enough- at the very top, about to either go down the huge slide or off the side. WOW! So he climbs! Gotta keep an eye on that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment