6.10.2011

feeling fit

One thing that i haven't talked about too much on here is the fitness goals that Paul and I have for this summer, and going. We've both been trying to work out and have chosen a few things to train for and it's been exciting to see our progress and see our hard work pay off. It is so hard to run around here because they weren't joking when they named our city cedar HILLS so the terrain is a challenge, then add to that the weird weather and pushing a stroller so it takes a lot of motivation for me to get out there. The Dicksons started a little family workout log where each day we can all post what we did to work out and it's actually really motivating to be able to share with the rest of the family what kinds of things we're doing.

I've also been going about once a week to a class in Lehi called "Ballet Blast". I love it! It's ballet moves mixed with cardio, mat work, ab work, and all kind of things. It's an hour of pure sweat and no breaks. I love my friends who come with me and it's a nice change when i'm sick of running. I highly recommend it! 

Paul has got some exciting ones coming up in June so stay tuned but I did want to mention our goal for May: to run a 10k. Unfortunately, that 10k was supposed to be on Memorial Day and we got snowed out. So, we both ran unofficial 10ks to make up for it. Paul far surpassed the goal and went out and ran 13.1 miles one night (so i guess we can check his half marathon off the list too!) but for me it was a little more of a challenge. The farthest i had ever ran was 6 miles, in training for the 10k so since i was so bitter about ours being cancelled i decided to try to run 7 miles. Tuesday, May 31st was declared my personal race day and so i picked a route and i was to begin my race once Paul got home from work so he could watch Caitlin and i didn't have to push the stroller. I actually did a lot better than i expected myself to do: 7 miles in 62 minutes and i felt really good the whole time. To date, that's the fastest and farthest I've ever run. My next goal is to tackle a half marathon in July!

1 comment:

  1. Wow, Cortney! You are doing FANTASTIC!!! I'm so proud of you for setting those goals and just doing it, even after the official race got canceled. I've been such a lazy butt in Taiwan and have so much catching up to do. I have never run that far and hope to some day as well. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete