10.05.2010

meeting the greats

Another important group of people that Caitlin met for the first time this weekend was all of her great grandparents.

Friday morning she met her Great Grandma and Grandpa Goulding. They drove up with my parents from Texas and made the long trip to come spend time with family and be here for Caitlin's blessing and I'm so grateful they did. I know making that drive is definitely not easy and I'm so thankful for them and for what a big part of my life they are. Caitlin was giving my grandpa the biggest smiles while my grandma was holding her. It was really cute. He is a pretty funny guy I guess... if she's anything like me she will certainly get her fair share of teasing from Grandpa!
Friday night we went to Salt Lake to visit with Stewart's parents, the Dicksons. Great Grandpa Dickson is doing well and in good health but unfortunately Paul's grandma has a bad case of Alzheimer's and seems to be slipping away from us (mentally and physically) more and more every time we see her. She was pretty much non-responsive to anyone the whole time we were there. But then when Grandpa held Caitlin and brought her over to Grandma, her whole face lit up and she said, "What a cute little girl!" This happened about three times that she would come out of her haze and look at Caitlin and make comments. The rest of us were all so shocked and pleased to see that she would respond. I think it is really a testament of how close babies are to heaven that such a sweet little spirit like Caitlin could get a response and emotion from Grandma that we all so desperately wanted to see. Even the next morning Grandma told her caretaker about the cute baby girl she had seen the night before... small miracles.

Saturday night she met her Great Grandma and Grandpa Gottfredson. We also spent time with them on Sunday night. Caitlin is the first great grandchild on this side of the family, which is exciting. They thought she is definitely a keeper. We talked for awhile about our family and how lucky we are to have eternal families and to be in one where everyone is progressing and keeping the covenants. So very thankful to be a part of this family.
Monday morning we went to my Grandma Joanne's nursing home apartment so she could meet her Great Grandma Pelton. My grandma also has Alzheimer's, and has for awhile now. She remembers my dad but it is increasingly apparent that she just can't quite figure out how the rest of us fit in. Caitlin definitely threw her for a loop. But, she thought she was cute nonetheless and I think she recognized that she was at least my daughter... whoever I was. I do like to think that my Grandpa Pelton and Caitlin had some good bonding time up in heaven before she came down.   

1 comment: