3.03.2014

joys of motherhood: February

-One Sunday in church my friend taught an awesome lesson on LOVE. All kinds of love and most specifically God's love for us and how we can reciprocate. A lot of it was based on the talk "The Love of God" by Elder Uchtdorf (awesome talk that I highly recommend reading it). A few things hit me while she was speaking and later when I as reading over this talk. Elder Uchtdorf said: "...what we love determines what we seek. What we seek determines what we think and do. What we think and do determines who we are—and who we will become." and "What and how we love... Defines us as individuals" she related this to the phrase "The things that we love that's who we are" which is kind of a common phrase that I always thought was a little cliche since I related it to someone's passions or hobbies (i.e. i love music so i'm a musician-- which is fine) but in this case it hit me deeper. When she said "The things that we love that's who we are" I immediately thought of the things I truly love-- my husband and my kiddos. And then I thought That's who I am: I am a wife and a mommy because that's what I love. Sometimes as a mom it's easy to think "I'm just a mom" and to lose sight of the important and meaningful things we do everyday but as Elder Uchdtdorf said "What we think and do determines who we are—and who we will become." I know as I think about how much I love my kids and my little family there is nothing I would rather be doing that becoming the best mother I can.   
-Caitlin calls for the "handy helpers" like on Mickey Mouse clubhouse to help with things while she's playing. For example: she'll be cooking food in her kitchen then discover she needs something so she yells "oh handy helper!" and sure enough it appears and gives her what she needs.
-My kids have been WHINY lately. Ugh I feel like whiny is one of the complete worst things kids can be because it makes me want to be whiny too. I think we've all got a case of cabin fever!!
-My kids love dancing to "Frozen" songs and it's usually Caitlin to ask for them and she knows every.single.word. but lately Nolan has also started singing along whenever he hears the "Let it Go" chorus he sings too.
-Found this quote the other day and loved it: "Marriage provides an ideal setting for overcoming any tendency to be selfish or self-centered... Pure love is an incomparable, potent power for good, and the foundation of a successful marriage." -Richard G. Scott
I thought to myself how when I got married I really didn't think I was LOOKING for a way to overcome selfishness or being self centered (haha) but it is true. Not saying I am anywhere near perfect in those areas but loving someone more than yourself is such a powerful feeling and gift. As I have been sick so often the past little while I have truly appreciated how much my husband understands this too and how willing Paul is to have that pure love towards me and help in whatever way he can, and come home and rescue me at the end of the day when I just can't move another inch or fix another meal.
-Caitlin was asked to give the closing prayer in primary. she was really excited about talking at the microphone and having her turn. We asked her if she wanted us to come watch her give the prayer and she said yes (phew because i don't think she could have stopped me anyways). Paul talked to her for a few minutes about when she says a prayer in Primary she should pray for things that everyone would like to hear (... in hopes of diminishing her many shout outs to cousins and friends, upcoming wishes to go to Disneyland, or have treats...) and then we asked if she wanted us to come up and help her to which she gave a very firm and determined "no." So anyways the time came and Paul and I snuck in the back. She saw us and waved and then was called up to the podium for her turn. She stood up there for a few minutes looking at everyone and taking it all in. Literally probably a few minutes. The sister up there told her to fold her arms and whispered if she wanted help. To which she said no again. Then she bowed her head, and said THE SWEETEST prayer i have ever heard her give. She said things like "please bless that we can follow the prophet" "please bless that we can have a good sunday and that everyone in primary with be nice to each other" "thank you that we have families forever"... I was shocked and touched by my sweet little girl and her tender spirit.   

No comments:

Post a Comment