7.11.2012

here we go.

I wanted to document this before we go on our actual trip, so here goes.. Paul and I are going to
GHANA
Wait what?! I know.
This trip has been in the works for awhile now and definitely at the back of Paul's mind but I didn't think I would go and we didn't know if it would really happen for us and then we basically decided to make it happen. So in the last 2 weeks we have decided to go to Ghana for a week. (welcome to our last minute life... it drives me crazy) The kids will get to have a fun week at Grandma and Grandpa Dickson's house in Texas. Paul's old mission president will be on assignment in South America for the next few years so this is his last trip to Ghana for a while. He is going with people from his charity to do humanitarian work and also have a few very spiritual highlights to the trip. It is truly a once-in-a-lifetime setup for an amazing trip that he was gracious enough to invite us on.

If only the once wasn't exactly RIGHT NOW in my lifetime. But it is so I had to decide if I was going to go or not. Everything else has aligned in a way that the timing would be perfect except for the fact that we have a tiny baby! And Africa is no place to bring a tiny baby (yellow fever anyone?) I just want to openly state that I have experienced so many levels of emotion and guilt and uncertainty in deciding whether or not to go and if I would be ok leaving my babies and if Nolan would be ok. I finally decided that although the actual timing is not ideal for me, I can't miss this opportunity. Once I made the decision (through many tears and prayers and doubt) I was done and moved on and decided to stick with it, regardless of what anyone else thought about it. It definitely involves certain sacrifices but I'm hoping the experiences shared and perspective gained on this trip will help me be a better wife and mom when I get back.

With all that being said, I am so excited to go see the place where Paul lived and worked and served for two years. This place and people that I have heard so many stories about and tried to imagine in my head. A place where we have sent our own spare money or supplies and now I will meet the people whose lives they have blessed. I'm so excited to make a connection with this place that I have been trying to imagine after these years with Paul. West Africa and the people there  were, and still are, a huge part of Paul's life and his testimony and his becoming the man he is today and I'm so excited to now take a part in it and to go serve and learn and see for myself.

So, I bought some chacos and mosquito repellent, I've gotten three shots, and I'm packing my hot weather clothes. We've had some extremely nerve-racking times making sure we can get our visas in time (again with the last minute thing!), but we are going. Here's to hoping for more air conditioning than I'm expecting and that I don't come back with anything but amazing pictures and stories!

3 comments:

  1. CRAZY!!!!!!! but i am so excited for you and am glad you arent letting the opportunity pass by!

    ReplyDelete
  2. (i just saw your comment on my blog so now i need to respond to that on here haha) well i am jealous you are going to ghana!!! And the funny thing is about those photos is that i got them from your facebook albums! hahahaha i couldnt get any of my photos and i knew you had good ones ha

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWESOME!!!!! You are going to have a great time & the kiddos are going to have so much fun at the grandparents!! :)

    Be safe, take lots of pictures and I can't wait to read about it when you get back. :)

    ReplyDelete